Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day Rice Crispy Pops!

So, being that this is the first year my boys were in school and I'm pretty involved in their class and school, when the holiday's come around I go big!  When Valentines day rolled around I had my eyes peeled for amazing idea's to make for my boys to WOW their little friends who I love so much.  We live in a small tight knit community and I also went to the same school and know much of the staff from when I attended.  This puts even more pressure on, right?  lol

So, as I was browsing blogs I found an awesome download to make magnificent little cards like this....






Cute right!!!  Although I myself am a graphic designer, I was having a total mind block on what to do about their cards and when I saw this I knew it was right.  Also with all the home repair going on to get my home daycare started and trying to balance that and the kids along with our extra activities... ugh... premade sounded amazing to me.  The boys hate it when I sit on my computer!  lol

So you can download the template or a few others with different designers here....

Custom Valentines Day Photo Careds - by Eighteen25

So, I still needed to spruce up the cards a little and I knew the 4x6 format they were in would be a little too big to attach to a treat and it would just work better small.  I combined two on one 4x6 making their size 2x3, so two would fit on a 4x6 print and sent the prints to walmart.com 1 hour.  Went and picked them up and mounted them on some black card stock.  I love black, nice clean look! I then punched holes in the corner so they could be tied to string and voila... they were ready to go!

Now onto the treats.  I had seen a few things be dipped into chocolate before and I thought the best one to hold up to preschool and kindergarten kids would be rice crispy treats.  Hearts OF COURSE because it's the big V day!

So off I went to walmart.  Got 2 boxes of cheapo off brand rice crispys, 2 bags of marshmallows and I already had butter at home.

Now my kids get Valentines day off from school (don't ask me why, I think it's stupid) so their party was Friday the 10th.  So on Thursday I spent from 2:15pm til 10:00pm making 44 rice crispy pops!  lol

Excuse my horrible lighting.  I HATE out kitchen lights and I was using my on camera flash and the reflections were horrible and I was so messy I just had to snap shots quick. 

So, I used cookie cutters to cute out the hearts but then kind of molded them into more round hearts and added the sticks!





 I then microwaved white chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips in a small bowl and dipped the pops into the chocolate then immediately covered one side in Valentines colored sprinklers.

I let the pops dry for about 20 to 30 minutes and the white seemed to dry much faster than the milk chocolate. 

After drying I wrapped them in clear wrap, closed them with red twine, attached their cards to the twine, and tied a bow...... and 44 crispy pops and almost 8 hours later....







BAM!  Love them!

I must say I was the talk of the town!  lol  

Every person who saw them was amazing!  All the time was definitely worth it.

1 comment:

  1. so super cute!! those rice crispy pops are just adorable! combined with the pics of your cute boys.... i can see why you were the talk of the town! thanks so much for sharing with us!
    jen :)

    ReplyDelete